Sunday, July 7, 2013

121 Of Shetlands and (more) Shrugs

Listen here.
Latte: On the Dressy socks, I'm getting close to being done! I love the pattern - it's not boring!

Grande: I finished the knitting on the TNG sweater for Miss Kalendar's imminent baby, but my blocking equipment was packed, so I can't finish it yet. I tried, unsuccessfully to "unvent" a shrug, but without my library of books, I fell short. I did knit a Shoulder Cozy out of Rowan Summer Tweed and Kidsilk Haze but again, it needs blocking. 


Chai: I am in Portland! I have much to tell you about my last days in the Bay Area but it will have to wait until another episode. Suffice it to say, there is a lot of knitting going on here! There are multiple knitting groups each week, and I am amazed. I am looking forward to moving into my apartment and decorating and furnishing  for the first time in a very long time. (Part 2 of Chai follows Stir)

Stir: It's Tour de Fleece time! I started late, and I gave myself a very different goal this year: spin every day. I'm spinning Abstract Fiber Merino/Merino/Silk in the color Gypsy: Teal, blue, purple and grey. It will be a two ply lace weight for a shawl.  

Segue into: Chai: Eugene, Oregon for the Black Sheep Gathering.  I bought fiber from Klaus/Crown Mountain Farms, bought some lovely Angora Fiber from Thedoza's Angoras, Merino Silk from Abstract Fiber and Jacob Roving from Shaggy Bear Farms (no website, sorry!). The highlight was watching Judith judging the Shetland and other fleeces. I share some of Judith's wisdom in this segment.

I was reading about Jacob sheep prior to spinning the Jacob roving I purchased at Black Sheep, and learned that some of them suffer from Tay Sachs disease, a horrible genetic disease that affects humans as well. It is possible that these afflicted sheep may someday provide clues to a cure. That's  another good reason to preserve these less "popular" breeds. 

At work this week, I was lucky enough to meet Rojo the therapy llama!!!!


Sofa: I've been binge watching The West Wing; it's funny, smart and fast. Also: Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing: delightful!

No comments:

Post a Comment