Saturday, May 18, 2013

118 Call Me Lemony

Listen here.


Today's episode's title is an homage to Lemony Snicket and his Series of Unfortunate Events books.

Latte: I'm knitting the Gratitude Clapotis, and I cast on Dressy and Vanessa Antiopa socks.

Bitter Cup: The lovely Bumblebirch Grove yarn I purchased in Portland is most definitely NOT for socks! I don't know what I was thinking. It will, however, make a lovely shawl. I restarted them in Fiber Optic Yarns Foot Notes in the color Lavender Mist Batik.  Also….I knit several inches on the Vanessa Antiopa socks before realizing that I have to make them in size medium, not small. That never happened before!

Stir: Mary and I split a fleece at the Monterey wool auction and sadly, neither of us know which of her fleeces this is. Maybe you can help! See the photo below. Recognize it? Let me know if you do!

Taste: I review Crochet One-Skein Wonders edited by Judith Durant and Edie Eckman. It's enough to make me learn to read crochet charts. I mention Wrapped in Comfort by Alison Jeppson Hyde and also talk about crochet beaded bracelets. You can learn more about this type of crochet bracelet here and also here

Chai: I had the pleasure of seeing and hearing Clara Parkes at A Verb for Keeping Warm. She talked about her Great White Bale project, and you can read more about that here. I also finally met Wonder Mike host of one of the best podcasts that ever has been produced, Fiber Beat. Mike is organizing the next Men's Knitting Retreat, and if you are a knitting man and want to know more about it, look here. I think you can still download Fiber Beat episodes on iTunes.

Brewing: Inspired by Clara's talk, I think a bit about the future of yarn and what we can and perhaps should do about it. I also talk a bit about the convention of men's and women's clothing buttoning in opposite direction and I invite everyone to rebel and put the buttons and buttonholes on whatever side pleases YOU. 

Events: I will be at the Retzlaff Winery for Spinning, and the Black Sheep Gathering

Sofa: I continue to love Grey's Anatomy even after nine(!) years. I'm pushing myself through Buffy the Vampire Slayer's unfortunate sixth season. I recommend a very important book,  Far From the Tree: Parents, Children and the Search for Identity by Andrew Solomon.

Menu: I was gifted with a big bowl of Meyer Lemons from which I made Super Lemon Ice Cream  from The Perfect Scoop and Lemon Curd Bars from The Joy of Cooking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment